Monday, February 4, 2008

Fishing in the Snow...What were we thinking?

So Ashton and I had the bright idea of getting up early on Saturday morning and going fishing. Now I am not talking about Ice Fishing where you sit in a ten with your hot chocolate and cookies holding your rod over a small hole and waiting for the fish to bite. I mean we were hiking through the snow in, yes the Ice Box of Utah, Logan with snow up to our knees. Luckly I had my snow boots and my gators. Anywho, I caught a fish shortly after starting. Amazed that I actually caught one out of the river with a spinner in the dead of winter, I was going to keep it. However, Ashton, being the vice and virtue of fishing, told me it was too small to keep and that I should put it back and let it grow some more. So he hiked ahead and I made my way to the river bed to put the fish back. After taking what felt like five min. to get the stupid hook out of the fishes mouth, my hands were freezing. To I quickly went to the edge of the river to put the fish down. The second I bent my knees to put the fish back I heard a Pop Pop sound and then whosh. I fell in the river. So what I thought was the shorline was really ice with snow on top of it. I was scared and confused all in the same time. Luckly I wasn't to far away from the shorline and the place that I had fallen wasn't deeper then my knees. So I gathered everything up and ran to go find Ashton and tell him what had happened. I finally reached him and he was holding in his had a huge fish, I was not surprized. He went to cast in again and got his line snagged. This really isn't a big deal for Ashton, he is the master and getting pretty much any snag undone. So he tugged and tugged, and wiggled and wiggled, and finally it came free, but all of the sudden I heard him say "what's that stick in the water?" Turns out it was the top of his rod. Before I knew it he was jumping on what looked to be the shoreline but was really ice covered in snow (this sounds familiar), and I heard that sound again, Pop Pop. The next couple of seconds felt like the movies. The ice broke away and he was balancing on it for a second, trying to find a way to jump off. Kindof like watching polar bears jump from ice patch to ice patch in Artic. It was funny, but at the same time kindof like watching Jason Born (my husband is such a hottie). Hejumped of just as the ice was sinking, got his feet completely wet, and had to hike back to the care through the snow with wet feet. At least we had a good fish dinner that night.

3 comments:

Scott said...

Meghan- I hope you don't mind me checking your blog. You look so beautiful in that black and white pic! This ice fishing story is pretty funny! I'm sorry that you fell in the river.

Maran (Price) Sprague

julie said...

meaghan, you are such a sweet, nice wife to go fishing in the freezing cold snow with your husband &i'm glad you didn't float down the river. :)

Unknown said...

you guys are nuts, but that sounds like fun!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...